Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bang Bang Shrimp

This is basically why we go to Bonefish Grill. My husband and I love this dish, and it's great for anyone that wants that extra kick in their seafood.

WHAT YOU NEED

20-25 pieces peeled shrimp (Serves 4 as appetizer, add more if serving as a side dish)
Vegetable Oil for frying
Breading
1 egg and cup of milk whisked together
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (You can use normal breadcrumbs but it wont be as crunchy)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon rubbed (ground) sage
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup of chili garlic sauce (I use the Vietnamese sauce found in international section of grocery store)
1 tspn of hot sauce (if you want it spicier)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice or white vinegar

LET'S GET STARTED

1) Combine flour, panko, salt, black pepper, sage, onion powder, garlic powder, and basil in a dish.
2) Prepare the egg and milk in another bowl.
3) Bread the shrimp by first coating each with the breading mixture., then dip into the egg and milk mixture, and then back into the breading.
4) Once you finish breading the shrimp, cool them in the fridge for about 30 minutes. You can bread them in the morning, and fry them right before your guests come!
5)Combine all ingredients for the spicy sauce in a small bowl; cover and set aside.


6) Fry 5 pieces at a time on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until golden brown, then drain on paper towel.
7) Once you finish frying, place them in the sauce and toss. Then place on a plate and garnish with green onions, or parsley.


ENJOY!







6 comments:

  1. My husband LOVES shrimp, I hate seafood..lol so I finally got the courage to touch shrimp lol but alas I did make it and now I'm eyeing this recipe for my surprise..thanks safia! Keep adding recipes so us managers of internal affairs look better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha managers of internal affairs! i love it! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED IT!! im so happy you posted this! i made this for about 9 people as a side dish..i changed the recipe accordingly for 60-80 pieces of shrimp! i used to go to bonefish for this and now im glad i can make it at home whenever i want it :) thank u and keep posting saf!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent recipe! made it for some friends as a side dish as well and doubled everything and it came out GREAT! even people who couldnt handle the spice were taking 2nds even tho it was a little spicy bc they said it was SO good. one thing that i was wondering is that if you dont like mayos tangy/tart taste saf, what can you use as a substitute in the sauce?

    keep posting! love your quick recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so glad you guys enjoyed them! Mayo is what gives it that glaze look. But I'm sure you can use the sauce i made for my meatballs. You can just do a tomato thing, and maybe add some brown sugar and a little bit of hot sauce. If you try it le tme know how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey salaam I don't think I know you but I know sana...I tried this recipe twice it was amazinnnnnggg I love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete